Care for your Surgery Site
- Keep the bandage on your surgery site for 24 to 48 hours. During this time, keep it clean and dry.
- If you have a pressure dressing, remove in 24 hours.
- After this time, remove the bandage and follow the instructions listed below.
- Wash the wound with soap and water (may be done while in the shower).
- Pat the wound dry.
- Apply Vaseline petroleum jelly to the wound 1 – 4 times a day, keeping the wound moist at all times.
- On the face it is not necessary to apply a dressing. Do not wear make-up on the wound.
- On other parts of the body, apply a new bandage for the first 3 days. After that, it is not necessary.
For Discomfort or Pain, You May Take:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 1 or 2 tablets every 4 – 6 hours, if needed.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol Extra Strength) 1 or 2 tablets every 4 – 6 hours, if needed.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol #1, contains 8mg Codeine) 1 or 2 tablets every 4 – 6 hours, if needed.
CAUTION: Maximum 4000 mg of Tylenol/24hours, Codeine may cause constipation
Sutures on the face are removed in one week. Sutures on the body are removed in 10 to 14 days.
If you notice any increased tenderness, swelling, bleeding or redness, please notify the office or consult your family physician.